Monday, December 13, 2010

Eat Fresh

My first job that wasn't doing janitorial work with my folks on the side was at a sandwich establishment known for some dude loosing a lot of weight and bastardizing the good name of meat and bread. I was 15, I applied while my family was ordering some food, called in by the time we got home to eat said sub par food. I probably shouldn't have taken it. I remember a fellow by the name of Jeremy claiming some hair brained idea that all "real skaters" had to work at a. sandwich shop, he was wrong of course, but this kinda gave the job a sense of honor. Too bad I heard this years after the fact, but this was the first in my almost 10 years of perfecting the craft of.
sanwichery
My first day was a sunday, I showed up at 4 to help prep for the dinner rush. An acquaintance of mine's older sister was there as was the assistant manager (he had those rollerblade chocolate skates that had the Hershey's chocolate logo on the back of it, he was also from Michigan and lived across the street. He was lame)After an hour of folding slimy meat into trios and BM something or the others, the two before mentioned co-workers left, only to be replaced by this long hair dude smelling very musky. Hw was warned by the assistant manager to make sure I get trained right. He agreed and when they left he sat on the prep table and told me it was his last day and he didn't give a shit about anything.

OK. Well, my first day was to be trained by some dude whose job I was obviously replacing and he didn't give a shit. Can't be bad. Me and the dude go over our formalities and intros, and then right on cue in walks this girl with a pink stripe in her hair. He hops over the counter an d gives her a hug and they both come into the back room, he introduces her to me as his cousin and said its cool if she hangs. By the hugging and squeezing I was pretty convinced her had a very close family or this girl wasn't his cousin.

Long haired dude and his cousin turn up the radio and tell me to help any customers that come in, they are going to be in the freezer. UUUGGGHHHH, all right, I got this, I have no idea how to use the cash register, but I can make a sandwich, lets do this. I wait and wait and no one comes in, but the radio is really loud, and it was KUPD's "Into The Pit" which at this time played such cutting edge and alternative rock such as Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit, you know, before they were cool. If I had to sit here and be nervous I was changing the tunes, screw this guy and his cousin, who were probably screwing, but I digress. I change the station to the EDGJ Ska Punk Show.

Long haired dude emerges from the freezer that now smells like an arctic version of the musk that followed him in when he first arrived, him and his cousin have very bright red eyes. They pause for a minute, dude gets angry, but in a slow angry, and complains about me touching his radio. I explain how I did what I could to get by man, he doesn't jive, tells me to call the assistant manager, who I don't have the number for, and him and his cousin walk out, never to be scene again.'

Weird first day indeed.

here , in order, are my albums of the year. 2010.

Young Livers - Of Misery and Toil
Superchunk - Majesty Shredding
Coliseum - House with a curse
Torche - Songs For singles
Bison B.C. - Dark Ages
Rumspringer - Empty Towers
From Ashes Rise - Live Hell
NAILS - Unsilent Death
CAGEMATCH - S/T (I was just a fan then)

No comments:

Post a Comment